Much of the Rightist media is clamoring for attention today on behalf of their hero, George W. Bush. The rallying cry has something to do with giving the former president credit for the Iraq war as President Obama announces an end to the military engagement.
So in the spirit of bipartisanship, I will be happy to give Bush credit. I’ll give him full and complete credit for…
- Waging a war of aggression under false pretenses.
- Lying about Iraq being allied with Al Qaeda.
- Lying about Iraq having weapons of mass destruction.
- Lying about oil revenue paying for the whole misadventure.
- Killing hundreds of thousands of innocent, civilian Iraqis.
- Losing the lives of more than 4,000 American soldiers.
- Permitting atrocities like Abu Ghraib.
- Aiding and abetting Al Qaeda’s recruitment efforts.
- Sticking us with the mess at Guantanamo Bay.
- Diverting military and financial resources from the real war on terror.
- Destroying our nation’s international reputation.
- Bankrupting our country and burdening us with lasting economic hardship.
- Weakening our Constitutional liberties.
It would be inconsiderate not to recognize Bush and to give him his fair due for his contribution to the war in Iraq, which he initiated. And I for one will not rob him of the credit he so richly deserves.