More than two years have passed since Donald Trump incited a violent and deadly insurrection against the United States. In the time that has elapsed, abundant evidence of Trump’s complicity has been presented by the press, by law enforcement, and by the House Select Committee investing the January 6th riots, most of whose witnesses were Republicans and former Trump staffers.
Click here to Tweet this article
Trump, of course, has spent the past two years whining that he’s innocent and asserting that the whole thing is just another witch hunt and/or hoax. And on Wednesday morning he reanimated his raging with the release of a new ten page statement mostly rehashing the same tired untruths that he’s been peddling all along.
RELATED: Trump Responds to the January 6th Committee Report By Flagrantly Lying About What it Says
This latest chapter in Trump’s traitorous tale of villainy and victimhood wasn’t much more than a warmed over rerun of his prior prattling. However, he did feature a new wrinkle in the fabric of his fantasy fiction referencing the utterly contrived conclusions of Elon Musk’s “Twitter Files” document dumps. Trump began saying that…
“Recently, it was shockingly revealed that Twitter colluded with the FBI and other law enforcement agencies to Rig and Steal the 2020 Presidential Election in favor of Joe Biden, and to deplatform and illegally censor me.”
Contrary to Trump’s hyperbole, there were no revelations, shocking or otherwise, and no evidence of collusion with the FBI to “Rig and Steal the 2020 Presidential Election.” The only thing shocking about any of this is the dishonesty of Trump, Musk, and the hacks who worked for them.
But Trump was just getting started. He continued with his pitiful defense of the charges that he incited the riots in Washington, D.C. on January 6th. He claimed that he was the consummate peacemaker, saying that…
“The two exonerating Tweets, and the Rose Garden Video, which were posted in the early afternoon of January 6, 2021, and attempted to be hidden by the Unselect January 6th Committee, clearly and unquestionably state my desire that all protestors be peaceful and follow the Law.”
That’s a purposefully deceitful summary of the events on January 6th. First of all, he’s leaving out his hostile rhetoric at his speech on the Ellipse, where he told his cult followers that “We fight. We fight like hell. And if you don’t fight like hell, you’re not going to have a country anymore.” As for his Twitter and video responses to the violence, aside from being weak and insincere, they weren’t released until long after the riots began and much damage was already done. According to the timeline…
- 12:53 p.m.: Rioters overwhelm police along the outer perimeter west of the Capitol building, pushing aside temporary fencing.
- 1:30 p.m.: Capitol Police are overwhelmed and retreat up the steps of the Capitol.
- 2:38 p.m.: President Trump tweets: Please support our Capitol Police and Law Enforcement. They are truly on the side of our Country. Stay peaceful!
- 3:13 p.m.: President Trump tweets: I am asking for everyone at the U.S. Capitol to remain peaceful. No violence! Remember, WE are the Party of Law & Order – respect the Law and our great men and women in Blue. Thank you!
- 4:17 p.m.: Trump uploads an unscripted video to his Twitter denouncing the riot but maintaining the false claim that the election was stolen: “I know your pain, I know you’re hurt. We had an election that was stolen from us … But you have to go home now. We have to have peace … So go home. We love you. You’re very special.”
So at least two and half hours elapsed before Trump posted his tweets, and another two hours until his video appeal that gushed his love for the rioters. What’s more, Trump’s statement lies that the January 6th Committee suppressed his weak messages of peace, and that “Twitter followed the wishes of Joe Biden and the FBI in censoring me, and cancelling my account.”
Every word of that is false. The tweets may not have been available on Trump’s Twitter page because the account was suspended due its potential to incite further violence. But they were well documented and available elsewhere to anyone who was interested. Also, neither Biden nor the FBI had anything to do with Trump’s Twitter account being suspended. And finally, the January 6th Committee not only did not suppress those tweets, they highlighted them in the hearings.
This is all typical of Trump pathological compulsion to lie. However, his own account of events, when the facts are known, supplies actual evidence of his guilt. And in case anyone thought that the harm Trump is capable of is all in the past, note these recent comments that prove that he remains an imminent threat to the nation:
- Trump Post Urges His Cult Followers to Take Up Arms and ‘Physically Fight’ for the Presidency
- Trump Promises to Halt the Prosecutions of the January 6th Mob He Incited to Attack Congress
- Trump Being Too Scared to Testify Under Oath, Files Lawsuit Against the January 6th Committee
Be sure to visit and follow News Corpse
on Twitter and Facebook and Instagram and Mastodon.
And check out my books on Amazon:
Fox Nation vs. Reality:
The Fox News Cult of Ignorance.
Thanks so much for your support.